Monday, August 22, 2011

Karen Michelle Nutt: Wanted

Wanted
by Karen Michelle Nutt
Buy links: Amazon * Smashwords * B&N

About Karen:
Karen Michelle Nutt resides in California with her husband, three fascinating children, and houseful of demanding pets. Jack, her Chihuahua/Yorkshire terrier is her writing buddy and sits long hours with her at the computer.

Her Book, Lost in the Mist of Time, was nominated for New Books Review Spotlight Best Fantasy Book of the Year Award 2006. A Twist of Fate was a nominee for Best Time Travel P.E.A.R.L. Award for 2008. Creighton Manor won Honorable Mention P.E.A.R.L. Award 2009.

Her new passion is creating book covers for Western Trail Blazers and Rebecca J. Vickery Publishing. In her spare time, she reviews books for PNR-Paranormal Romance Reviews.

Whether your reading fancy is paranormal, historical or time travel, all her stories capture the rich array of emotions that accompany the most fabulous human phenomena—falling in love.

About Wanted
Six year-old Emma is convinced her Christmas wish and premonition has come true when outlaw JoBeth Riley is brought into town. Emma’s father, Sheriff Jace Kelly, must keep JoBeth from being broken out by the leader of the outlaw gang. JoBeth finds the Kellys a strange lot when forced to spend Christmas with them. A little girl, who believes her dreams are tales of the future and the rugged sheriff whose kindness proves a distraction. She’s an outlaw for heaven’s sake, but Jace is bound and determined to steal her heart.

Win a Free Book!
Karen's offering an e-book copy of Wanted to one lucky winner. Read on and find out how you can be entered in the drawing. She promises to make it easy.

RTW: What aspect of life in the Old West intrigues you the most? Did you work that into Wanted?

Jack and Karen
KMN: I love history. I find everything about it fascinating, the people, the way they lived, and even what they did for fun. So the Old West does intrigue me.

My tale, Wanted, takes place near Flagstaff, Arizona around 1880. I didn’t pinpoint an exact date in the story, but hinted that Tombstone's heyday is in the past. So it gives the reader a time reference.

Women didn’t always follow the men out west. I find it interesting how the towns survived and how families were raised. To get a sense of the area surrounding Flagstaff, I needed to research the history and learn about the men and woman who braved the untamed West to seek their fortunes. The Riordan family was a prime example. In 1884, Dennis Riordan, the eldest of three brothers arrived in Flagstaff. He managed the Ayer Lumber Company. Later he brought his younger half-brothers into the business and their wives joined them, too. Together they developed the most beautiful homestead and brought culture to the Wild West.

I knew then it wouldn’t be far-fetched for my fictional town of Liberty to exist nestled near the Ponderosa Pines and south of the San Francisco Peaks. With a lumber company being their main source of income, families would make their homes there.

RTW: If you lived in the year your book is set, what modern convenience would you miss the most?

KMN: Indoor plumbing would be one. I love my warm showers. Lol Though, Jace did prepare a warm bath for JoBeth, heating the water on the stove. If I could find a man in that time period like him, it might not be so bad.

RTW: What types of errors or misconceptions bug you when reading western historical romances?

I can’t think of anything in particular that I’ve read, but I do know nothing kills a story for reader more than faulty research. You wouldn’t want to have your hero wearing a baseball cap before they were invented. LOL Clothing styles and products should be accurate for the decade. Too modern of vocabulary could also be a factor. With historical romances and western tales, you have to get the information right. Readers will catch the errors and your credibility will be shot.

RTW: Why is Jace perfect for JoBeth?

Jace means healer, a perfect name for my hero. My heroine needs to find peace in her life and set herself on the right path again.

I purposely combined two names for my heroine. She’s an outlaw so I chose Jo, giving her name a masculine ring. The wanted posters have her as Baby Face Jo. I wanted her tough, but not so much that you forget she’s a woman. I added Beth to her name to represent the woman she’d left behind when she ran off with the outlaw, Shane Maverick.

Jace definitely sees past JoBeth’s tough persona.

Excerpt from Wanted by Karen Michell Nutt
   “I don’t belong to any man, Sheriff. You best remember that.” She told him she wasn’t married to Shane. She never revealed that to anyone. “You know, I shouldn’t feel comfortable around you, yet I do. You’re a lawman and your kind don’t mix well with my kind.”
   His hand paused again, waiting for her to continue.
   “If I weren’t a wanted woman and you weren’t a sheriff, I think we could have been friends.”
   His low chuckle had her turning to stare at him again.
   “Friends?” He shook his head. “No, JoBeth, I believe we would be much more.” His heated gaze nearly melted her on the spot.
   Her eyes lingered on his lips. She licked her own, wishing she could taste him just once.
   “Don’t look at me that way,” he warned her.
   Her gaze met his again. “Too late.” Her hoarse whisper spoke the truth.
   She didn’t know if he moved or she had, but the next moment, his arms were around her. His lips pressed to hers, soft, hesitant before they became demanding. She opened for him, wanting all he would give her. He was a good man, a good father, a man she could fall in love with if she’d chosen a different path.
   She didn’t belong with him. Her being with him now only endangered him and his family. Shane thought of her as his property and he didn’t like to share. She pulled away, breathless and a little scared that for a moment she’d forgotten about Shane.
   Her heart raced in her chest, but she didn’t know if the fear rising in her was for Jace or her own unguarded heart.
###
RTW: Whew! Great Excerpt.  What are you cooking up for us next?

KMN: I’m working on a few projects. I’d like to do another story featuring my characters from Wanted. It would be Beau Bennett and Emma Kelly’s story.

I’ve started on the second book for my western/steampunk tale, Storm Riders and I’m working on the third book in my Fallen Angels Series, Gideon: Warriors for the Light.

RTW: Anything else you’d like to add?

KMN: I want to thank you for having me here on your lovely blog.

Now for the Contest details you’ve been waiting for!
Answer the questions and you’ll be entered in the drawing to win one e-book copy of Wanted.
  • What makes a hero or heroine in your eyes?
  • Who’s your favorite cowboy? It can be from TV, Movies or a favorite book. It doesn’t have to be the hero of the story either.
  • Is there a villain you loved to hate?
What a pleasure it has been to host Karen today. Please be sure to include your email address with your comment, because if Karen can't reach you, we'll have to pick another winner.

20 comments:

  1. It the posted excerpt doesn't bring in readers to your book, nothing will. It's full of anticipation. Good luck. Hope you sell a million copies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! Didn't have my glasses on. The first word should be If. Sorry about that. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dr. Norm,

    I know all about not having my glasses on. lol No worries. When you have kids, you learn through the years to decipher all kinds of sentences. And let me tell you, spelling correctly is optional when texting. lol

    Thanks so much for your kind words and stopping by to say Howdy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacquie,

    Thank you again for having me here today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wanted is such a wonderful, magical story. I loved it. Lovely interview, Karen.
    I wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, thanks for visiting Romancing the West and tell us about your fabulous new book, Wanted. I read your story, Storm Riders, in A Western Saga and thoroughly enjoyed it! I also love your cover design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, you've made me curious about the background that would make a woman like JoBeth. Good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah,

    Thanks so much. I'm so glad you enjoyed the tale. You're such a sweatie to say so, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacquie,

    I'm so glad you enjoyed Storm Riders. I had fun writing that one. The book cover for Storm Rider is a maybe. I still need Rebecca's stamp of approval. lol. It won't be ready for a single release until November.

    As much as I enjoy writing, I also love creating book covers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judith,

    I'm glad you're curious. It's all part of my evil plan. lol

    Thanks so much for stopping in and saying hey! One can always use some good wishes, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm intrigued by your excerpt! I'll have to check this out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HiDee,

    Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. If you check out Wanted, I hope enjoy the JoBeth and Jace's story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the excerpt of Wanted, sooo I'm gonna try to answer the questions for a chance to win! lol.


    What makes a hero or heroine in your eyes?

    Tough, but caring to those that they love, and willing to do anything to keep them safe.

    Who’s your favorite cowboy? It can be from TV, Movies or a favorite book. It doesn’t have to be the hero of the story either.

    Sam Elliot. A person can recognize his voice anywhere, and it melts me through and through.

    Is there a villain you loved to hate?

    Yes, Alex in Danielle's Touch, and I love it when a villain gets his just dessert. :)

    lgriffinwriter@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Lisa!

    I'm so glad you like the excerpt.

    I love Sam Elliot, too. You're right, he could wear a mask, but as soon as he spoke, I'd know it was him.

    True villains should always get what they deserve. Lucky for us writers, we can make it happen. lol

    Take care and good luck for the drawing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read an excerpt from Wanted before and it's a really sweet story, Karen. What makes a hero? Well, he's strong, deals with life actively, and takes charge, but is loving. Favorite cowboy hero: Tom Selleck as Jesse Stone. Tom Selleck as Anyone!Well, I loved to hate Magua in Last of the Mohicans,Ihope that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I rather liked watching Tom Selleck, too. (fans self)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to agree about Tom Selleck as well. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Kate!!

    Thanks so much for coming by. You can answer the questions any way you please. :)

    Hmm... it looks like Tom Selleck is hit for the ladies. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just wanted to wave hi to you, Karen.

    I really loved this story. It has to be one of my favorites. Then again, I also loved Storm Jumper. I can't wait for the second one story in the series.

    When will it be out?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Cathy!

    The second story for the Storm Riders series is still in the works. I don't have a definite date, but I'm estimating it will be sometime in the spring of 2012.

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete

Romancing The West welcomes you to show your appreciation of our guest blogger by leaving a comment. If there's a contest, don't forget to leave your contact information. Thanks!