Sunday, April 29, 2012

Karen Michelle Nutt: Storm Riders

Storm Riders
by Karen Michelle Nutt

Romancing The West welcomes Karen Michelle Nutt who resides in California with her husband, three fascinating children, and houseful of demanding pets. Jack, her Chihuahua/Yorkshire terrier is her writing buddy and sits long hours with her at the computer. Her Book, Lost in the Mist of Time, was nominated for New Books Review Spotlight Best Fantasy Book of the Year Award 2006. A Twist of Fate was a nominee for Best Time Travel P.E.A.R.L. Award for 2008. Creighton Manor won Honorable Mention P.E.A.R.L. Award 2009. Her new passion is creating book covers for Western Trail Blazers and Rebecca J. Vickery Publishing. In her spare time, she reviews books for PNR-Paranormal Romance Reviews.

Whether your reading fancy is paranormal, historical or time travel, all her stories capture the rich array of emotions that accompany the most fabulous human phenomena—falling in love. Visit Karen at her website or stop by her blog for Monday interviews, chats, and contests.

RTW: Thanks for dropping by, Karen! To start us off, please tell us about the book you're featuring this week.

KMN: Storm Riders isn’t your typical western. It is a western steampunk tale that takes the readers back in time to a small town called Bodie. Bodie is a mining town with a bad reputation. Ace McTavish is accused of murdering his brother and niece. Samantha Skelley and her Storm Rider partner, Denny Randeli, are in Bodie to fix a rift in time, which so happens to be Ace’s death. Samantha and Denny are there to save Ace, but the outlaw doesn’t make it easy. There are some downright bad guys, romance and an adventure readers will hopefully enjoy.

Yes! Karen has a contest!
To one lucky winner, Karen's giving away a $10 Amazon gift certificate.
See details below.

RTW: Why do you write Westerns? What aspect of life in the Old West intrigues you the most? Did you work that into Storm Riders?


Right: Karen Michelle Nut, author
Left: Jack, special assistant & boss

KMN: Why do I write Westerns? I blame it on the popular westerns in the '70s. Alias Smith and Jones was my first interest in the western genre. I was fascinated with the lovable outlaws who were trying to go straight. I was only nine when it first aired and I had a big crush on Pete Duel. I wanted to know more about the west and ordered books at school from the Scholastic book club. The Ghost of Dibble Hollow by May Nickerson Wallace had the western theme with outlaws, ghosts and good mystery for a nine year old to fall in love with. Of course Little House on the Prairie caught my interest and How the West was Won, starring Bruce Boxleitner, who played Luke Macahan, was another.

To add to my growing western obsession, my family lived near Knott’s Berry Farm where Walter Knott created an authentic Ghost Town. When I was a teenager worked there for a time. With my first paycheck, I bought a cowboy hat. I loved that hat. Lol. Knott’s Berry Farm also sold mini-books on outlaws and lawmen of the west. I still have those books today.

I’ve written a few stories with a western theme to them. Wanted (outlaw wanting to go straight), Storm Riders (outlaws, adventure and romance) and At the Stroke of midnight (Western TV star of the '70s and a woman who travels back in time to save him). All three tales were motivated by my love of those early westerns.

RTW: If a person who had never read a Western (any sub-genre) asked you for a recommendation, what novel or movie would you recommend and why? What did the author do to bring the story alive for you? KMN: How the West Was Won by Louis L’Amour. Louis L’Amour brings the old west alive with vivid accounts of hardship for both men and woman of that era. You see how they survived and struggled to have a happy life.

Storm Riders (Excerpt)
by Karen Michelle Nutt

The hangman’s hand pressed the lever and the prisoner dropped. At the same time a shot rang out, severing the rope before it could constrict around McTavish’s neck and break it.

Her horse tensed, but she stroked his neck and leaned forward. “You’re fine, boy. Stay with me.” People screamed and ducked. Deputy Goodman who stood at the foot of the stairs drew his gun, looking for the man responsible for the interruption.

He kept the patrons hopping with shots flying over their heads. Deputy Chester couldn’t leave the scaffold, the way the bullets flew at his feet, making him dance a jig.

Bless you, Denny Randeli.

Samantha didn’t waste time and rammed her feet into the horse’s flank, sending them flying forward through the crowd of scrambling people. McTavish looked stunned, but he was already working to free his hands.

“Need some help, cowboy.” She tipped back her hat and smiled. She pulled her knife out and he stumbled back. “Don’t be stupid. Let me cut the ropes.”

“Who are ye, lass?” His thick Scottish brogue laced his words.

“I’m the woman who’s going to save your arse. Now turn around and let me cut you free.”

He didn’t hesitate now, whirling around and giving her his backside. A nice backside, too, but now wasn’t the time to admire it. Keeping the horse steady, she leaned down and slashed the binds free from his hands. She shoved the knife back in its holder and offered her hand.

He turned to stare at her. In the bright of day, his eyes stood out like clear green gems with no other pigment clouding the color.

“Come on.” She thrust out her gloved hand.

His grip was firm as he swung up behind her.

“Hold on,” she told him. “Hiyah!” The horse bolted at the command and her sudden slam of her boot heel against its flank. She maneuvered around the scrambling crowd with ease and jumped over obstacles in her way.

“St. Brigid in Heaven, you’re an angel.” McTavish clung to her, his hands around her waist—warm and large, the heat from him sent a strange feeling to the pit of her stomach.

She shook her head. It was the thrill of the escape, not how McTavish felt against her. She tried to convince herself with no avail.

“Do you have the package?” Denny’s voice echoed in her ear, making her focus.

“Got him and we’re on the right trail to lose anyone who follows. We’ll stop at the first hideout and see if there’s trouble. If it looks clear, we’ll meet you back at the safe house tonight.

“Be safe,” Denny told her.

“Back at you.”

“Who are ye talkin’ to, darlin’?” McTavish leaned his head next to hers, his breath whispering against her cheek.

“None of your concern, cowboy. Just keep holding on. We have a rough ride ahead of us if we want to cover our tracks.”

She thought she heard him chuckle. “Oh, doonae fash yerself. I willnae let go.”

You can purchase Storm Riders at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Smashwords.

RTW: Great excerpt--we want more! So what’s next?

KMN: I’m working on a few WIP- the second book of Storm Riders. Storm Riders is slated to be a trilogy. I’m also working on a vampire/werewolf/necromancer Urban Fantasy tale and the third book in the Warriors for the Light series (Fallen Angels). I just finished Twilight’s Eternal Embrace (a historical vampire fantasy tale) and am ready to submit for publication.

In August, Magic of the Loch will be released with The Wild Rose Press. This is a shape shifter mystery with a new twist on the Loch Ness Monster legend.

RTW: Anything else you’d like to add?

KMN: I want to thank you Jacquie for having me here today. Readers, I also want to thank you for your kind words and continue support.

Win a $10 Amazon Gift Certificate!
Now for the Contest question: If you could travel back in time to a western town, where would you go and why? Was there someone there you wanted to meet?

Drawing will be held May 6 at 9pm Pacific Time. Your email address must be included to be eligible! Otherwise, we can't contact you and we'll have to draw another winner.

35 comments:

  1. Hmm. Im not sure where id go or who id want to meet. Never really thought of it before. Im gonna have to think on it. Though, if its back in the west, i definitely wanna meet some indians. :) Thank you!! You book sounds awesome! Im a sucker for cowboys. :) Thanks!
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to travel back to the time and place of the OK Corall--Tombstone, right. Se if I could make peace between the Earps and the Clantons. Maybe I could have won the Nobel Peace Prize! LOL


    annfesATyahooDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: Please enter me in the contest. I LUUURRVE western romance and your book sounds like a MUST!!!

    annfesATyahooDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be interesting to spend a day at the general store at just about any boom town in the West. You could learn a lot about people by seeing what they buy, what they admire but don't buy, and how they converse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful excerpt. The only other thing as attractive as a western is a westerner who has a brogue. One more book to buy, but I know I'll love reading it.
    caroline@carolineclemmons.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to spend some time at the legendary King Ranch in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L. McMaken,

      I had to look up the 'Legendary King Ranch. -- Sounds like an adventure. :)

      Delete
  7. well i would like to go to old Tuscon during the ear with billy the kid or bart and then i would be a salon girl and then get the guy i want a hunk and may even have fight withsome one

    desi the blonde at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desi,
      That would be something. A saloon girl-- hmm...

      Delete
  8. I read Wanted and positively loved it. A wonderful interview. I'm looking forward to Magic of the Loch.
    I would go back to Tombstone and meet the real Earp brothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I'm glad you enjoyed Wanted. :) The Magic of the Loch-- August is right around the corner.

      I wouldn't mind meeting the Earps. :)

      Delete
  9. I would travel back to Montana. I love the wide open spaces!
    Linda Cacaci
    LinCa3@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin,

      Thanks for coming by. Montana--I bet you like horse back riding. :)

      Delete
  10. while it's not really considered west by today's standards, kansas city was really the place to be back in the old west. well, at least according to all the old westerns my father has been addicted to his entire life. i grew up listening to gene autry and matt dillon, not to mention the theme songs to rawhide and bonanza that are still stuck in my head.

    so kansas city would be where i would love to go. the time would be any period where cowboys were the career of choice, they tipped their hats to the ladies, and ranching was the way of life. i would want to meet any of the saloon owners of the time, just to see if they really did see all and hear all.

    thanks for not only giving my brain a workout but getting the theme song to bonanza in my head. lol.

    pinkelmo3 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LCD,

      Hey, the Bonanza theme song is a great song. lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Shadow,

    I know. It would be a difficult choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ann,

    I've been to Tombstone (obviously not when the Earps were there. lol) What an interesting place. I enjoyed exploring.
    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jacquie,

    Interesting choice. You're right-- it would be interesting.

    By the way-thanks for having me here this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Caroline,

    I'm a sucker for a Scottish accent. :) I'm glad you enjoyed the post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. can't think of any outlaws/Western figures I'd want to meet right off the bat--guess I'll have to agree with the woman who said she wanted to meet Indians. Oh yeah & I also love a Scottish accent---maybe I could meet Jamie Fraser?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dsayless,

      I want to go with you to meet Jamie Fraser. :)

      Delete
  16. Honestly, I'm not sure about any specific people I'd like to meet, but the idea of an old west would just be fun to experience. It kind of makes me think of the movie Quigley Down Under and how the gunslinger and the outlaws lived.

    Even as a fictional character, I'd love to meet Joseph from the movie Maverick because he has a great sense of humor.

    acoleman5@liberty.edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adryanna,

      So glad you could join us. :)
      I remember the movie Quigley Down Under. Good movie!

      Delete
  17. I'm fascinated by the laying of the rail lines across frontier America. Not one town, but many. Most came after the rail of course.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marybelle,

      That would be quite an adventure! Did you watch 'Hell on Wheels?"

      Thanks so much for coming by.

      Delete
  18. Hi Karen,

    Love your books!

    Where would I time travel? I'd like to visit Julian, California during the gold rush.

    cnickol at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I'm so glad you've enjoyed my tales. :)

      It's been a few years, but I enjoyed Julian. The gold rush-- Are you hoping to strike it rich?

      Delete
  19. If I could travel back in time, I would want to meet Edgar Allan Poe and talk to him about his books. I'd love to know how he came up with his chilling tales.

    mysweetpirate at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina,

      Edgar Allan Poe would be interesting. Good choice. :)

      Delete
  20. Hey! I've been to Bodie. My husband loves that old ghost town.
    Where would I like to time travel to? Yellowstone, of course, which is the setting of my current time travel romance series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You write time travels-- I'll have to check out your books. :)

      Bodie,
      is a interesting town. I love it, too. :)

      Delete
  21. Alias Smith and Jones...I haven't thought of that shows in years, and I loved it!

    I'd go to Dodge City, Kansas. I can't say there's one person I want to meet, just people in general.

    Great post and excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauri,

      I'm glad you enjoyed the post. :) Loved Alias Smith and Jones. I was so sad when I found out Pete Duel died. (Remember I was only nine), When I saw the show on TV, I thought the news had to be wrong. I didn't understand that the TV show had been taped earlier.

      Dodge City, Kansas-- another interesting place to visit. :)

      Delete
  22. I commented on the other post that I would like to time travel to Tombstone Arizona to meet Wyatt Earp. My favorite western TV show was Bonanza and I loved Little Joe - he was so cute! carol5g43@aim.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,

      I liked Bonanza, too. I liked Hoss. :)

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Romancing The West welcomes you to show your appreciation of our guest blogger by leaving a comment. If there's a contest, don't forget to leave your contact information. Thanks!