Wednesday, November 23, 2011

RTW Christmas Book Party: Markee Anderson

by Markee Anderson

I have more than one pen name, but today, I’m coming to you as Markee Anderson (see all my pen names on Sweet Tale Books). Because I write as more than one person, I don’t share head shots (I can’t be more than one person at once), but will include my Facebook picture, instead. All of my books are listed on the book page. Just click on a cover and you’ll be taken to the pen name’s website.

Originally trained to be a high school math teacher and later, a programmer, I’ve found more fun and satisfaction in writing. Since about 2000, I’ve been creating characters and conflict on paper. I published two books with an epublisher and got an agent, just to realize that my move toward traditional publishing wasn’t what I really wanted. I didn’t want to sacrifice my family for my writing job, by attending book signings, conferences, and schmoozing. Our son has Asperger’s Syndrome, so I needed to be at home for him. I decided in September when my agent contract was over, that I’d go 100% indie. I’ve never looked back and never regretted my decision.

This is why I wrote A Dream to Share. I followed my dreams and am so happy I did. In the story, Merry Woods is struggling with her fledgling law firm. It’s her dream to make it work, but there are a few things in her way, including issues in her personal life. It reminds me so much of my own life. Once I overcame my dream to climb to fame, my life fell into place. I was willing to take a back seat for my family.

A little about A Dream to Share ** Cupid Romance Series **

When lawyer Merry Woods meets the man who is literally in her dreams, Detective Alex McKay, she realizes her current fiancé isn’t someone she wants to marry. But to date Alex means they can’t talk about work, since some things have to stay confidential. However, other people keep trying to date both of them, pulling them apart at every turn.

Two cupids are on the job to guarantee Merry and Alex make it in their relationship, even though other cupids also have both of their client names on their contracts for other mates. Can they get Alex and Merry together against the odds, and prove the couple is truly the magical ‘Couple for the Ages’?

Here's a peek into A Dream to Share:

From the beginning

Meredith Woods stretched, feeling the satin sheets under her back. As she opened her eyes, she looked up from the bed to a vaulted light yellow ceiling with a ceiling fan hanging from it. "Where am I? What's going on? This isn't my bed." She grabbed the sheets, but they were too nice for what she was used to.

As she sat up, a hand touched her arm. "Sweetheart, you were in a deep sleep. Don't you remember? We're on our honeymoon. Can't you hear the waves?"

She turned, seeing a man she didn't know sitting beside her on the bed wearing nothing but dark blue boxer briefs. He was very handsome—dark brown slightly curly hair and the bluest eyes she'd ever seen. But she didn't know him.

She reached out, seeing her naked arm. Yikes. Was she naked all over? She had to look. Once she lowered her eyes, she saw her naked chest covered only in a sheet. "Who are you?" She pulled the sheets from the bed, and hopped up, wrapping herself in the silky cream-colored material. "What am I doing here?"

The man chuckled, the waves crashing in the distance. "Dear, come back to bed. You're just having a dream."

"I am?" Her hand flew to her forehead, covering her eyes while she closed them. "Right now? I'm asleep?" She moved her hand to see him, but the room suddenly darkened.

Merry sat straight up in her bed—her childhood bed in her parent's home. She must've been dreaming. Reality set in and she remembered. She was staying at the house with her fiancé, Billy, for Christmas.

What a dream she had, and that man was really good looking. She was married to him? She wanted to go back to the dream world, to see his face again and to find out who he was. But it was only a dream and she knew she had to come back to reality. That dream seemed so wonderful, the light filling the room. And the man—she'd never seen a man so gorgeous and naked in her life.

Yes, she was engaged to Billy, but she wanted to wait for marriage to get to know a man in that way. Otherwise, the honeymoon would just be a vacation and nothing special. From the look of that man in her dreams, special was an understatement.

She wondered if Billy would look that good to her on their honeymoon. Considering he was six-feet tall and weighed well over 250 pounds, he was nothing like the man in her dreams.

Was she having second thoughts? Was it because she couldn't talk to Billy about current events or her job? He just didn't understand anything that made him think. He'd be okay as a father, she guessed, but she worried because all education and common sense would be up to her.

After throwing back the blue blankets and pink sheets, she got out of her childhood bed and tiptoed to the bedroom door, so as not to wake her sister. They were forced to share a room once again, even though they'd both grown and moved away.

Her brother was in his old room with his wife, and their three children slept on blow-up mattresses in one guest bedroom, beside her parent's bedroom. Her sister's boyfriend and Billy were in the other guest bedroom.

The house was large, because her dad owned a toy company and was rather wealthy. This year, her mom forced everyone to come home for the holidays, since Merry's and Billy's wedding was to take place on New Year's Eve.

The thought of her wedding gave her a chill as she walked down the stairs to the huge home. Was she doing the right thing? Billy said he loved her—but did he, really? Did he even know what love was? Yes, he gave her the obligatory kiss when appropriate, but she didn't feel that excitement or rush when his lips touched hers. Why was she marrying him again? Was it because his last name was Christmas and she'd become Meredith—or Merry Christmas? No, it was because he kept her car in good condition since he worked at his dad's garage.

Was that the best she could do and the real reason she was marrying him? Did she even love him?

Read the rest of the first chapter here.

I love to write books, and I think Christmas books are some of my favorites. I noticed there are a lot of great Christmas books out there, but I couldn’t find just one place to peruse those books.

So, I started a virtual Christmas bookshelf. It’s a one-stop Christmas shop, and I encourage you to check it out. It contains books of every genre and every heat level!

*** For this week only, on this blog, I’m offering coupons for the following new Christmas books I recently published:

A Dream to Share by Markee Anderson:
Genre: contemporary romance (fantasy…contains cupids)
Link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/105446
Coupon: GJ48Q good until 11/27/2011

Can Natalie Come Out to Play? by Andie Alexander
Genre: murder mystery (paranormal…contains a friendly ghost)
Link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/105447
Coupon: YP69V good until 11/27/2011

Finding a Heart of Peace by Eryn Grace
Genre: Christian romance
(warning…I cry every time I read this thing, but it has a happy ending)
Link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/104054
Coupon: HD56X good until 11/27/2011

I hope you enjoy them! ***

And for ONE lucky commenter on my post this week, I’m giving away a $10 Amazon gift card!
Don't forget to include your email address with your comment or we'll have to draw another name.

Merry Christmas!!!


Thank you, Markee!

Romancing The West is featuring wonderful Christmas books all week, and each day's author will be giving away a free book, so check back tomorrow for Kit Prate.

Prizes Every Day!

Monday: A Warrior for Christmas and Somewhere the Bells Ring by Beth Trissel
Tuesday: Gifts from the Afterlife by Sara J. McNeal
Wednesday: A Dream to Share by Markee Anderson
Thursday: Feliz Navidad by Kit Prate
Friday: (TBA) by Cheryl Pierson
Saturday: Faery Merry Christmas by Jacquie Rogers
Sunday: Chicken Dinner! Yes, one commenter this week (any post) will win a book from each author--that's SIX Christmas books--AND a $10 Amazon gift certificate

Love Christmas stories?
Markee Anderson listed a bunch of 'em at her Christmas page.

19 comments:

  1. Good morning, everyone!!! It's going to be a BEAUTIFUL day!

    I'll be in and out today...picked up our son from college on the other side of the state yesterday and man, that kid needs a HAIRCUT (he's a medium blond) and a SHAVE! He looks like Santa with a brown/red/blond/gray beard (yes, gray...and he's 19)! I said 'ho-ho-ho' when I saw him. So Santa's HOME!

    I hope many many people post! Cyber Monday's coming and it'd be nice to have that gift card!

    Smiles!
    Markee

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Markee,

    What a great chapter. I can see where you are creating that tension. This looks awesome. I recently bought the book but haven't had time to read. I'm pulling my kindle out while that big bird is cooking tomorrow and diving into this great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nancy! That's cool that you're reading while cooking! I hope you have a FANTASTIC Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Markee, sounds like the day will be busy! Love your post and I'll twitter the blog.
    Doctor Barbara
    chesterchesapeak@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It IS busy. We just went for haircuts and to a grocery store for ice cream. Some lady backed out when I did and hit my car. I had just a little gray paint on my blue minivan, and she didn't have much, I don't think...so she gave me a hug, said 'Happy Thanksgiving' and drove away. LOL!

    Thanks for the twitter, too! I'm so glad you dropped by, Doctor Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much for the Christmas page - Love Christmas stories and thanks also for the excerpt.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    bossu49ataoldotcom

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're very welcome, Eva! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great book.
    My son also has Asperger's. It's a whole new world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forgot to leave my email address.
    chefamanda at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow i like t he book i have to put in the wishlist on am azon dkindle
    desitheblonde@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely right on that one, Amanda! Good luck with it, because every kid is different. With my son, I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Desitheblonde--you can get it free on Smashwords! You can get all the listed books free on Smashwords, if you want.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Markee, I'm so glad you're at RTW today, and really thankful that you posted the Christmas books page on your website.

    A Dream to Share sounds like a terrific book--great excerpt! I'm headed over to Smashwords to download some great Christmas stories. Thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Markee, I read A Dream to Share and i loved it, thank you for the opportunity. I was so into the story you know.I think the cover is very pretty, they just look so happy and carefree. Why is finding love so hard? There is always so many obstacles. Oh well that's life mom would say nothing good comes easy. Have a great Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas. rshereifa AT yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Jackquie! I hope you like the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. sh8922cr, you read it already? COOL! I'm so glad you liked it, too! FANTASTIC! I truly appreciate the feedback! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas, too! :) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great excerpt :) and thanks

    meandi09@Yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Jennifer!!! :)


    I'm waiting for the go-ahead to give out the gift card, everyone. So hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. And the winner of the $10 gift card was EVA! Congratulations, Eva! Thank you, everyone, for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Romancing The West welcomes you to show your appreciation of our guest blogger by leaving a comment. If there's a contest, don't forget to leave your contact information. Thanks!