Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Angel Tree by Chuck Tyrell in O DEADLY NIGHT #western #Christmas @chucktyrell


The Angel Tree
a short story in
Wolf Creek, Book 10:

Romancing The West is pleased to present a double feature: Wolf Creek, Book 9, A Wolf Creek Christmas, and Wolf Creek Book 10, O Deadly Night.  Each volume contains six Christmas stories, all centering around Wolf Creek in 1871, written by award-winning western authors.  Today, RTW is pleased to host the a fine western author who also writes Japanese high-fantasy, Chuck Tyrell

Chuck Tyrell
(Charles T. Whipple)
About Chuck

An Arizona boy who lives in Japan. Who’da thunk it? Paid no attention to teachers who urged me to write. Almost wrote myself out of a job before the day. Then my dear wife put me on the straight and narrow. We lived in Hawaii. I don’t remember exactly why the pin dropped, but I started learning how to write through correspondence courses. A few months later, I sold my first article. We won’t go into how many I’ve written since, but more than a few. I soon wrote full time; not fiction, but advertising copy (still do).

But in 1979, I entered a novel in a Louis L’Amour writealike contest. Didn’t win. Put the MS in the bottom drawer. Decision: Can’t write fiction. Twenty-five years later, it became my first published novel, Vulture Gold. Since then, two or three published novels a year. One day I met a man named Monty McCord, and asked if I could use his name. Monty McCord was published in July 2013. The third of my Stryker series—Stryker’s Bounty—should hit the internet soon. In 2011, a story I wrote about tea in ancient Japan won a international literature prize. A Matter of Tea is also a book of my writings set in Japan, as is the Masacado Scrolls series.

You can have a look at my books at my website and you can contact me at chucktyrell@inexjapan.com or come see me at The Outlaw Trail. I’m on Facebook and tweet a bit. Have a peek.

Chuck's story: The Angel Tree

The soiled dove known as Brandy has previously only shown up as the object of cowboy Billy Below's desire. She takes center stage in this story, though... when she learns that the innocent children of the prostitutes at Cribtown are barred from attending school by the town fathers because they are "undesirable," and sets out to do something about it.

About Brandy

It happened at the “good” brothel in Wolf Creek, Miss Abby’s School for Wayward Girls. A customer hit Brandy, a young dove, leaving her with a black eye and bruised cheek. He was banned forever from Miss Abby’s “establishments,” and Brandy was told to take two weeks off until her bruises faded, so others would not get the idea that they could play rough with Miss Abby’s girls. On the second day, Brandy gets cabin fever and Miss Abby allows her to go for a walk, as long as she stays south of Useless Street.

Wandering along Wolf Creek, Brandy runs into four children dancing around an evergreen boxwood tree that they called The Angel Tree. Four waifs from Cribtown. No place to go at night, even in the cold of winter. No school to go to because people north of Useless Street called them “bastards.” No warm clothes. No outlook for a good life in Wolf Creek. But a major change was about to happen at the Angel Tree.

As for me, I’ve always had a soft spot for underdogs. For more than a decade, I supported five junior high school girls each year in northern Thailand. I currently work to help spread the word about disabled sports in Japan (with Paralympian Mami Sato). And many of the characters in my story have the same kind of feelings.

What's new with Chuck

Monty McChord
by Chuck Tyrell
A Black Horse Western

Monty McCord is a top hand, but he’s got a hot temper. After killing young Hartley Billings he’s on the run, and now old man Hunter Billings has sent his riders to catch up with him. But US Marshal Swade, Ellen Watson and her Flying W crew are on the lookout for Monty, and will do anything to keep him alive. Putting him in charge of a herd and betting Ellen’s ranch on his cowboy skills is a risky move. Can he get two thousand cows from Colorado to Wyoming? Or will the rustlers, and Monty’s pursuers,  have their day?

"If you like well told traditional westerns filled with twists then this book is certainly worth considering." Western Fiction Review



Wolf Creek Book 9: 

The Last Free Trapper 
by Jory Sherman
A Savior is Born 
by Meg Mims
That Time of Year 
by Jerry Guin
‘Twas the Fight before Christmas 
by Jacquie Rogers
A Kiowa Christmas Gift 
by Troy D. Smith
Renewal of Faith 
by James J. Griffin


Wolf Creek, Book 10: 

Sarah’s Christmas Miracle 
by Big Jim Williams
Irish Christmas at Wolf Creek 
by Charlie Steel
A Home for Christmas 
by Cheryl Pierson
The Angel Tree 
by Chuck Tyrell
The Spirit of Hogmanay 
by Clay More
O Deadly Night 
by Troy D. Smith



12 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled at this double collection of stories. Shorts are a wonderful way to get to know the characters that populate Wolf Creek. The Angel Tree sounds like a winner. I also think Monty's story is one I will have to read.
    On another note, thank you for promoting and supporting self-confidence and self-worth. People need to know they matter. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Doris. Christmas is a time when we can praise the values we feel are praiseworthy. In this case, having compassion for people who don't have as much as you, and understanding that education is the first step out of poverty.

      Delete
  2. Chuck,

    A good story is a good story, and I know one when I read it. This is a very moving story. Brandy is a well rounded and endearing character. This story is Dickensian in nature, and like Charles Dickens, you write about poverty and characters on the bottom of society.

    Hope, kindness, and friendship, all instilled by Brandy and her idea to better the life of poor children makes this a story well worth reading.

    Putting it at Christmas and having hardened characters of all ages come together to celebrate Christmas day makes it even more heartwarming.

    Very well done, Chuck Whipple.

    Charlie Steel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlie. Thank God we live in a country where the very bottom of the economic strata still has a chance.

      Delete
  3. Charlie, I learn something new about you every time you write--FB, blogs, you name it. I have not ordered my print copies yet of O DEADLY NIGHT, but will soon. I'm really looking forward to reading your story. I love what I've seen of Brandy so far in your other WC segments.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. A story by Chuck Tyrell is tops. Some fine writing in O Deadly Night.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story, Charlie. I think Brandy is a thoroughly likeable character. She has good karma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie Syeel hit the nail square on the head- Dickensian. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlie STEEL, even. Dern tiny phone keyboards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the most moving stories I've read in a long time. Great work, Charlie.

    BTW, isn't writing advertising copy also pretty much fiction? (Couldn't resist)

    Jim Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha. Advertising is the pure truth and everything but the truth. It is also the dynamic art of emphasis, as one musical put it: "Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, and don't mess around with Mr. In-between."

    Thanks, all, for the positive comments. May the Angel Tree bless you. (God, too.)

    ReplyDelete

Romancing The West welcomes you to show your appreciation of our guest blogger by leaving a comment. If there's a contest, don't forget to leave your contact information. Thanks!